How It Works - Technical Information
Digital Vector Maps does not assign our affiliates URL tracking codes or discount codes that customers must enter in order for our affiliates to receive credit for referred sales. Instead, our affiliate system examines the "Referer" header field which is a part of the HTTP protocol, as defined here by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C, see http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/HTRQ_Headers.html#z14). A full specification of the HTTP protocol, including documentation for the "Referer" [sic] header field is also available at http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html.
Following is the basic outline of how our affiliate system tracks sales referred by our affiliates' websites:
- You apply for our affiliate program and a unique Affiliate ID is generated.
- You place a link to the Digital Vector Maps website anywhere on your website.
- A visitor on your site clicks on this link and is taken to the Digital Vector Maps website.
- Our web server examines the "Referer" header field passed by the user's web browser. EX: if you placed a link to our site from a page on your site @ http://www.mydomain.com/resources.htm, our web server will identify the "Referer" field as http://www.mydomain.com/resources.htm.
- Our web server queries a database and looks for an affiliate partner who has specified www.mydomain.com as their website.
- If you've signed up for our affiliate program and have specified the domain www.mydomain.com as the site which will be participating in the program, a cookie is then placed on the visitor's computer. This cookie will have your Affiliate ID, and will persist on the visitor's computer for a full year (365 days).
- Visitor makes a purchase and proceeds to the "Checkout" page.
- Our "Checkout" page looks for the presence of an Affiliate Cookie. If an Affiliate Cookie is found, 30% of the sale price will be placed into your Affiliate Account. EX: if a visitor referred from your site makes a $100 purchase, $30.00 will be placed into your Affiliate Account.
- You will receive an immediate email confirmation for every successful sale resulting from a visitor that is referred from your website.
In addition to receiving real-time email notifications for all referred sales, our affiliates have access to real-time web-based reporting tools that allow you to generate commission reports and track previous payouts.
When & How Payment Are Made
- Sales commissions are paid during the first week of every month for all referred sales which occurred during the period two months prior (we offer a 30-day money back guarantee on our catalog products).
- Choose to receive payments via Check or PayPal.
Signing Up is Easy - It Takes Less than One Minute
Earning a commission on sales from visitors you refer is as easy as taking one minute to fill out a very short application. Click below to sign up:
If you have any questions about our Affiliate Program, please contact us via email, or call us at (800) 928-6851.